Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Advent Days 7 & 8

12-7-10

Advent not only counts down the days to Jesus’ birth but it also counts down the days to another exciting year with Him! I know, Captain Obvious here, but such a cool thought. However, I’d like to put in my request for a much less exciting year because I’m in over my head right now. I do realize, my 5 current followers, that God is using this advent to reach into my life and slow me down enough to focus on His amazing plan, learning in the process how to trust Him more with my life and the plans He has for me. Even when they involve the emergency room!

Day 7 Why Zechariah’s Miraculous Baby?

The author David Jeremiah points out that Luke begins with the account of Zechariah and Elizabeth. In those days, not having children marked a married couple as being considered unworthy by the Lord. But God had a plan for them and He sent angel Gabriel to meet with Zechariah during his turn burning incense before the Lord at the Temple (a rare privilege for a priest.) Zechariah had what I consider the more realistic human reaction to such a visit and message – a flash of doubt passed through him. Oh yes, I’d like to think I’d be like Abram and Mary in their response but I know my first thought would be to question my own sanity. The result of Zechariah’s questioning was a discipline – he would not be able to speak until his son was born. And he, too, offered a song of praise when his son arrived and his speech returned. Read Luke 1-2 as well as Gen. 18:1-15 for more about miraculous babies!

Day 8 Why, on Earth, Bethlehem?

The books’ opening chapter quote sums this up: “As Ralph W. Sockman once phrased it, ‘The hinge of history is on the door of a Bethlehem stable.’”(p. 43) Besides the prophecies, Bethlehem had a long history that included the burial site of Jacob’s wife Rachel, widow Ruth remarrying there, and the place the prophet Samuel meets young shepherd David. Author David Jeremiah points out these people as all being, surprisingly enough, in Jesus’ family tree. Read Micah 5:2 and 1 Samuel 16:1-13 for more insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment